BAY6 Dual Purpose 130 Mother Plant Tent Kit
Your mother is arguably your most important plant – all of your genetic stock comes from her.
Do yourself and your plants a favour – look after her! The best way to do this is with her own tent.
Why Does She Needs a Separate Tent?
Once plants start to flower, you won’t be able to take cuttings from them.
So it’s important that your mother plant is kept in vegetative growth.
To ensure your plants stay in vegetative growth, you need to:
• Keep them under a blue grow light (with wavelengths between 400nm-460nm)
• Keep your light cycle as 18hrs on + 6hrs off
Doing this mimics the seasonal conditions that plants are normally in when vegging.
Technically speaking, you could keep your mother plant in a tent with other vegging plants, but we wouldn't recommend it.
If kept in the same tent, you’ll get loads of issues with space.
• Your mother plant will be bigger than other vegging plants
• You’ll get the kind of shadowing caused by uneven growth
• The light hanging height won’t be the same for your mother as other vegging plants
You’re much better off giving your mother a tent of her own.
Why Keep a Mother Plant At All?
What you need to remember is that cuttings are genetic clones of their mother.
Seeds, on the other hand, are not. Plants grown from them will all have slightly different characteristics.
• You never know what their genetic make up is
• They all have slightly different characteristics (good and bad)
• It generally takes longer for them to root
• You will likely get some that don’t sprout
• Are genetic clone of their mother plant
• You know exactly what you’re going to get
• You can protect your genetic stock
• If you take cuttings well, all should sprout
It’s fine to start off with seeds – your genetic stock has to come from somewhere. But as a rule of thumb, you’re always better off propagating with cuttings.
Choosing a Mother Plant
Ultimately, the best performing plant is the one that gives you the greatest yield.
If starting from seeds, take several cuttings from each plant before flowering (make sure you label them).
Once you know which plant has given you the best yield, keep one of the cuttings taken from it as a mother plant.
Complete illustrated instructions are supplied with your kit.