After watering your plants, you’ll notice that some of the feed gathers underneath your pots.
This is called ‘runoff’.
Without runoff, salts, minerals and nutrients accumulate in your pot:
• It’s toxic to your plant
• Plants no longer get the right nutrients
• Plant growth is poor
To flush out nutrients and salts that would otherwise have gathered in your pot, aim for a 20 – 30% runoff. Any more than this is just wasteful.
Why Use A RhizoSystem?
All that run off has to go somewhere.
If you leave your plants sitting in it, it gets reabsorbed.
You don’t want this to happen
1. The runoff will have become stagnant and may contain bacteria
- This leads to root problems, poor nutrient absorption and even root rot
2. Your growing media becomes saturated with unoxygenated water
- You end up with lots water, but no oxygen - roots need both.
3. Some nutrients and salt remain your growing media
- When you next feed your plants, the nutrient profile isn’t going to be right.
With a RhizoSystem, all run off is removed, so none of this happens.
You can safely achieve the optimum 20 – 30% runoff, without any issues.