IWS Flood and Drain 16mm (13mm) Systems
What’s flood and drain?
It’s a tried and tested way of getting lots of oxygen to your roots!
You fill your pots with a growing media (like clay pebbles) that holds a lot of air, but not much water.
Periodically, you flood pots with a nutrient solution, then quickly drain it away.
With each flood:
• Stale air is pushed away from roots
• Fresh, oxygen rich air is drawn into the root zone
• Your media gets a hit of nutrient solution, which it slowly releases to roots
Why does flood and drain work?
It’s all about supplying your roots with lots of oxygen.
Oxygen in the root zone:
• Stimulates root growth
• Increases nutrient uptake
• Helps prevent root diseases, such as Pythium
• Increase cell growth/activity
• Stop water from stagnating
Without enough oxygen
• You’ll likely experience:
• Mineral deficiencies
• Poor growth
• A decrease in water and nutrient absorption
• Underdeveloped roots
With an IWS Flood System, your plants will always get the oxygen they need.